Thursday 15 November 2018

9th Birthday Card

Welcome to my new follower, Karen Dunleavey of White knuckles and inky fingers. Karen has recently started her blog, so I'm sure she's appreciate a visit from you.

I've just realised that I haven't posted or been around blogland very much for 12 days, but I have a very good excuse.  I celebrated a birthday with a '5' on the end last Sunday.  My hubby decided it was a 'significant' birthday and planned a surprise long weekend for us to a secret destination.  I eventually found out the destination at the airport check in desk - we were off to Iceland!  We had a fabulous few days and I spent my birthday with waterfalls and geysers.  I'll post a few photos in a later post.  

My great nephew recently turned 9 years old and this is the card I made for him.  After being desperate to own a dog for a few years, he eventually got his wish this year, so this seemed an appropriate design for him.  I often make a card with a fancy fold for him and the first thing he said when he opened the card was "How did you make it?".  I think he's still trying to work it out! LOL!
I used a Sizzix 'Rectangle Flip-Its' die for the main card shape.  The dachshund die cuts are by Marianne Designs, assembled and layered on a Creative Expressions 'Pawprint Lattice' embossed background.  The number 9 was cut with an old Sizzix Sizzlit die.  I used patterned paper from a Papermania paper pad and a Poppystamps 'Cat Paw Border' die, which I thought worked just as well for a dog card.

These two photos show the open card from a different angle.


I am joining in the following challenges:








19 comments:

  1. A lovely card for your great nephew. Congratulations on your milestone birthday too!
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your trip sounds wonderful - and happy belated birthday!
    Love your card! The doxie is so cute and love the flip it design. Perfect card Liz!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. A belated 'Happy Birthday' Liz! What a lovely surprise holiday your husband arranged for you, looking forward to the photos!
    Fab card for your little nephew, bet he was intrigued by this clever fold!
    Chris
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated Birthday! Iceland sounds fab - on my wish list but anywhere where I will see the Northern lights will do!
    Great card - and I hope you put the poor lad out of his misery and explained how you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated birthday!! It sounds like an amazing trip!! I can't wait to see pictures!! The card is beautiful!! I love the dog and the design!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely card! I have a circular Sizzix Flip-Its' die, thanks for remember me that it's very unused! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww love this card Liz - so thoughtful. Hope your great nephew isn't thinking too hard about the mechanics of the card! Look forward to seeing the Iceland pics - lucky lady! Shabneez x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another wonderful shaped card Liz and the die cut dachshund looks great, and I love the paw print lattice background and the die cut paw print border goes beautifully with the dotty paper. So pleased you had a fabulous surprise for your special birthday with your trip to Iceland. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a sweet card for the new doggy owner! Love the fold and the layout! Glad you had a fun get-away for your birthday. That was a sweet thing for hubby to do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for warm welcome Liz. I'm glad you enjoyed Iceland as it was a favourite with me when we visited. We were very lucky and saw the Northern Lights and bobbed around the Blue Lagoon when it was actually snowing. Very surreal. But, back to cards, a lovely card, it like you other cards, looks so neat. I have much to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite standing out in the middle of nowhere for three hours, with clear starlit skies, the Northern Lights chose not to appear :-( . However we did have a fabulous visit to the Blue Lagoon, what an experience! I'll just have to go back again some time to see the Northern Lights. xx

      Delete
  11. A belated happy birthday Liz, your husband's surprise was wonderful, love the 9th birthday card, hope your great nephew loved it as much as he will his dog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy belated birthday. And, I love your card you made. Such a cute puppy and a great interactive card.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute pup and a great fold. Thank you for joining our “Birthday” Challenge this week at Die Cuttin’ Divas.

    Stay Creative,
    Georgiana
    • Carson's Creations •
    Die Cuttin’ Diva DT

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful card! Love the shape and that adorable dog... Congrats on your BD!
    What a great surprise! Think that must have been a super trip! Hugs, Gerrina

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely design and very appropriate, love the EF you have used. Thanks for sharing with CHN patterned paper challenge.
    Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the color combination! Great job! Marciava ~ Pile It On! Challenge Blog Design Team Member

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. All comments are really appreciated. This is a moderated blog and all anonymous comments will be deleted.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.