Saturday 9 September 2017

Flying high!

I can post this birthday card, now that I know it's been received by my friend's husband.  There's a little story behind this card, as it's not the one the recipient was supposed to receive!   We were on our way down to our caravan in Devon for a few days, when I suddenly remembered the date and realised our friend's birthday was before we came home.  I'd bought a caravan stamp to use especially for his card, which I intended to make after we got home, but didn't have it with me.  So, a little creative thinking was needed as I had a couple of hours to make a card before I needed to post it.
I had taken a few new dies I'd bought from eBay with me but, apart from fairies and a unicorn, the hot air balloon was the only other die I had.  I die cut the balloon in black, stuck double sided tape over the back, covering all the apertures, and inlaid all the coloured die cut pieces.  I had no patterned paper, embossing folders or inks to make a background, but then I found an old brochure for the caravan site we stay in, which had a map of the site in the middle.  It was perfect for the background as our friends frequently stay at the same caravan site too.  I attached the hot air balloon with foam pads to give the impression that it's flying over the site.  A sentiment peeloff I happened to have in the craft box I keep in the caravan finished off my card.  So the card was posted on time......although I discovered later that they were on holiday for his birthday and so I would have had plenty of time to make a card when I got home and post it!

I am joining in the following challenges:
Die Cut Diva's September Challenge ~ Masculine/Men/ Boys
HLS September Anything Goes with Dies Challenge
Cuttlebug Mania Challenge ~ Anything goes with die cuts and/or embossing
MIUCB #5 - Anything Goes + Inlaid Die Cut
Crafty Friends Challenge #66 ~ Use dies and/or punches

25 comments:

  1. you did a wonderful job making your card without your supplies. Thanks for joining us at HLS
    Barb Housner (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How resourceful Liz and the balloon looks perfect over your site map and love the pretty inlaid colours in the balloon. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great card, Liz. I love the balloon and I am excited with the city map! Kisses, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous card you managed to make, The balloon die is super and at least you'll be able to make his next years card well in advance as you've already bought the stamp! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Liz,
    what a very fab card and your design is ace.
    Love the caravan map under the hot air balloon.
    So glad all came out fine in the end.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the story behind this card!! The hot air balloon looks so amazing!! I love that it's flying over the site map!! Have a great weekend!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a clever design Liz, well done!
    Janice x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant design with that brochure for the caravan site, you are a genius! Adorable happy hot balloon, it really seems flying on the place of thu map!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love cards like this that are made in a bit of a panic and turn out perfect.
    Well done you for your ingenuity and a really super card.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow you have made a fabulous job of this card Liz, great thinking.
    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is brilliant! What an awesome idea with limited resources!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How very resourceful and what a lucky find the map was. I'm sure the card was appreciated for the thoughts that went into making it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How clever, the caravan map and hot air balloon sure made a great result...love it Liz.xx [aNNie]

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ingenious, very clever and quick thinking, isn't funny we can do it under pressure LOL. Doesn't matter he wasn't there, he had it when they got back and I bet it is was MUCH appreciated.
    Faith
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant card Liz....great details...Joolsx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Goodness, Liz, you should be on every design team out there! What a quick-thinking excellent design inlaying the manly hot air balloon and backing it with the caravan site map! Genius! I only wish you could have seen his face when he opened it!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great story! Love the card; that background is so perfect for your friend! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning! So vibrant! Beautifully done! Thanks for playing with us at MIUCB!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's a very impressive card to have created on the hoof! The site map is a brilliant touch x

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a clever idea to use the map as DSP!
    Love your card

    Thank you for joining us in our "Anything Goes" challenge at Cuttlebug Mania.

    Cuttlebugs & Hugs
    Jannie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the air balloon die and the pops of color it as, thanks for joining us Die Cut Diva's!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love how you created your balloon. Where there's a will, there's a way. Turned out fantastic. So glad you joined us at Die Cut Divas.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A really clever card Liz - sometimes we do our best work with the least amount of stuff! Shabneez x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for sharing your lovely card with us at Crafty Friends Challenge Blog… good luck in the draw and please join us again.
    Diane Louise
    [Team Leader for Crafty Friends Challenge Blog]

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the die inlaid blue - those pops of bright colour really draw your eye.Thank you for joining the Masculine/Men/Boys Challenge over at Diecut Divas. Cathie DT

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. All comments are really appreciated. This is a moderated blog and all anonymous comments will be deleted.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.